The Williamsburg EDA offers matching grants up to $2,000 for the replacement of a nonconforming sign in commercial corridors of the City.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: This grant is set to expire on December 31st, 2019. All applications received after this date will be denied. Please call 757-220-6104 with any questions or concerns.
- The program is open to all businesses in the City that have a primary street-front sign that does not conform to the City's current zoning requirements.
- The program requires submitting a short grant application to the EDA.
- The application process will be “fast tracked” through the ARB approval process by City staff (ARB meets twice a month).
- Approved applicants have 90 days from the date of notification of application approval in which to obtain all required permits and complete sign installation in accordance with the permits.
- The maximum grant award per sign is 50 percent of the replacement cost not to exceed $2,000. Grant payments will be made within thirty (30) days following submission to the City Manager's Office of a copy of the City Zoning Administrator's certificate approving the completed sign installation accompanied by a true copy of the sign installer's invoice.
- The program began in March 2005 and applications from qualified applicants will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Program funds are limited and issued on a first-come, first served basis. The EDA will evaluate the program annually and determine whether or not to continue the program for another year. The program is currently approved through July 2017.
- No principal, officer or manager employee of the applicant may be a principal, officer, manager employee or investor in the entity employed to perform the services to be funded in whole or in part by the grant.
Contact Economic Development Specialist Yuri Matsumoto via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions about City sign regulations, please contact the Planning Department at (757) 220-6130 or via e-mail at email@example.com